Welcome to the Moving North Carolina, the blog of NC transportation history.
This blog – like the public television documentary from which it emerged – offers a fresh perspective on North Carolina history: it tells the panoramic story of our state as a tale of evolving and improving mobility.
North Carolina transportation history – from ancient footpaths to superhighways – is a saga of vehicles and vessels; of animals and engines; of rivers, canals, rails and roads. But far deeper than that, it is a very human story. It is the story of the people who used those modes of transportation to arrive here, to populate the countryside, to prosper, and to coalesce into one special state. Moving North Carolina is the story of how we got here and why we live where we do. It is the story of who we are.
Here’s what you can do on this blog:
- Click below on one of the most recent posts to read the full story.
- Browse or search the entire collection on the Searchable Archive page.
- Peek behind the curtain on how the blog originated on the About The Blog page.
- Watch a preview of the Public Television documentary version of Moving North Carolina and purchase a DVD or Blu-ray disc on The Documentary page.
- Comment on any post (at the bottom of the post) or leave general feedback on the Comment page.